Bleach London, Chief Operating Officer
Scroll for assets >>
Helped founding team of 10 year old retail brand develop a strategy that would establish Bleach as the go-to for experimental hair colour, globally. Asked to join as FTE after close of first round of institutional capital ($10M):
A category leader in experimental hair colour (a relatively narrow TAM), Bleach's business had been built around three physical salons and retail partnerships. Now venture-backed, Bleach had ambitions to build a significant global business, while retaining their position as a cult brand.
Prior to the pandemic, I defined a strategy to build 'peloton for hair' and bring the Bleach salon experience into the home, shifting customers from their existing salons to Bleach. The vision? To enable a customer to achieve any desired look based on their changing hair state.
Given that hair grows and colour fades, my view was that if we could help customers with a successful first 'bleach' at home (lifting their hair to a certain shade - the scariest part of Bleaching), we'd be able to train in subscription-like behaviour without the need for subscription, before exporting this retention playbook to new markets.
- Ran 8 figure P&L, up 92% YoY
- Built out HQ team from 12 to 36 FTE. Hired and managed for execution both directly and via headhunting (product, ops, growth, brand, creative, data) and implemented core operational infrastructure
- Worked with engineering to build a recommender and event-driven CRM for hair based on Bleach's modular product range (bleach, tone, colour, maintain, care)
- Pulled forward core product features to capture at-home-hair opportunity presented by salon closures, working with team to build and launch the ‘Hair Party’ platform in five days. Onboarded 35 stylists to the online platform, overseeing training, tooling, and dashboards; traded at 18x target Q2 ’20
- Restructured the business around geographic business units to run newly-omnichannel P&L; developed five year forecast / scenario model in preparation for Series B and worked closely with team to build out strategy for new market entry (own-store, DTC and retail)